SD card won't mount on Smart Prime 6

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

SD card won't mount on Smart Prime 6

by ScottX.McGill Starter Poster
Message 1 of 23 (8,559 Views)

My new Smart Prime 6 refuses to mount my new 64 gig apacer micro sd.

It detects the card when it is insereted and even tells me the card has been removed if I pull it out, but tapping mount in the settings just causes the sd symbol to flash for half a second then vanish leaving the "mount sd card" option unchanged.

I've formated the sd card to FAT32 in an attempt to make it work but had no success there either.

I've tried inserting with the phone powered down, restarting it and everything in between.

The card detects fine under windows on my PC and takes files as it should... but so far I've had no luck.

I'm running Lollipop 5.0.2.

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: SD card won't mount on Smart Prime 6

by Hugh_3170 New Poster
Message 19 of 23 (6,819 Views)

I have also had this issue and it was resolved by formatting my Sandisk Ultra 64GB card  on a Windolws PC with the aid of a free FAT32 formatter program and an external SAndisk card reader/writer. 

To format my card I downloaded a small utility program from www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk which works like a charm on my older Win XP laptop.  Try it - it is free, it is small, and it comes as a runnable excutable that does not have to be installed.  (And if you Google for FAT32 formatters you will also find alternatives to this program.)

Only extremely old versions of WIndows such as Win98 and the terrible Windows ME can format above 32GB. 

Modern Windows versions from around XP and onwards can only Format FAT32 to 32GB.  For larger cards you are required to use extFAT or NTFS, neither of which are supported by the VodafoneSmart Prime 6 (aka as the VF-895N).  The same is true for many other phones from other suppliers as well.  I couldn't find an Android App to do the job in the phone itself.  Maybe there is one out there.  Anyone know?

One thing that you need to be aware of is that older card readers on PCs are often only good for SDHC - which have only the ability to handle 32GB - fortunately I had an external Sandisk card reader/writer to get around this side issue.

Vodafone should amend their instruction manual to guide people around this mine field, and should push its suppliers really hard for a firmware update to make the fix permanent for all of its existing and future customers.

As an aside, I am wondering if a 128GB or even a 256GB SD ard could be mounted if it were preformatted as a FAT32card  - a tempting selling point if the fix were to be built into the phone itself.  Just thinking.........

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Dylan (Retired Staff)
‎25-01-2016 10:48 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 2 of 23 (8,554 Views)

Hi Scott

I'm wondering if there might be something strange happening with partitions where the computer can read it but the phone can't. Are you able to re-format in the phone please?

Thanks

Dylan

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 23 (8,549 Views)

I'd love to... how do I do that? Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 23 (8,527 Views)

As the card won't mount, it doesn't give me the option to unmount or erase/format... unless there is another way that you know of?

Retired Staff

Message 5 of 23 (8,493 Views)

I asked a colleague about this yesterday, he thinks Android 5 lollipop might handle formatting sd cards differently. I realise this is a bit frustrating, but do you happen to have another phone that the card could be formatted in?

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 23 (8,445 Views)

Yep I've now been into a Vodafone store and they tried formating it as well... it sadly didn't fix anything.

There are many possibilities I guess, but after the various fixes I've tried so far it looks like the 3 most likely probabilities are:
1) the specifications listed for the device might not be accurate and the Smart Prime 6 can't actually handle 64 gig micro sd cards
2) there is a weird fault in this build of Lollipop. 
3) for some reason Apacer brand micro SD cards don't play nicely with this phone.

Either way I have a brand new 64 gig card I can't use in my phone which isn't the biggest problem in the world, but I wish I'd known that before buying that media.

Retired Staff

Message 7 of 23 (8,410 Views)

Sorry that's not working for you. We haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem but will definitely look out for it, hopefully we'll be able to figure out if it's a software bug, compatibility issue or whatever else it might be.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 23 (8,407 Views)

I appreciate any info that you can find Smiley Happy
My digging around the net has found refrence to a few other peopel having issues using there card to store data or apps, but not specifically mentioning being unable to mount the card.
I'm hesitant to purchase another card as it may not solve the issue, and anything less than 64 gig is lacking for my requirements, (I have a lot of music I'd like to play on my phone.)

So, yeah, anything you can do to help would be great, but I understand that sometimes things just have hiccups and don't work out. Smiley Happy

New Poster

by Ellie666 New Poster
Message 9 of 23 (8,272 Views)
I actually have the same problem. I have a 32gig card, and it was working fine. It was almost full, so I transfered everything to PC and deleted everything on sd from phone. Now it can't mount it. It does kind of recognize it ( when I take it out it says that it's out and asks to put a new one in) but it doesn't show on file manager or anywhere, and when I try to mount it starts but calculating space but won't finishe.
Posted from Android 5.0
Starter Poster

Message 10 of 23 (8,251 Views)

Well as much is it's sad to hear some one else is suffering the same problem, it's nice to know it's not just me having an issue... What brand is your SD card if you don't mind me asking?

Stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 11 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today