Why can't you use Sure Signal over RBI?

Starter Poster

Why can't you use Sure Signal over RBI?

[ Edited ]
by tim-mit Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (259 Views)

I've seen questions on here about using Sure Signal over RBI. Most recent replies seem to say that it won't work. Is that because the RBI modem might try to connect to the Sure Signal device (creating a loop)?

If so, I assume Sure Signal would work on my Spark 4G connection, because the Spark connection wouldn't be able to connect to the Sure Signal device. Is that right?

Senior Contributor

Re: Why can't you use Sure Signal over RBI?

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (248 Views)

These can be use with some resellers of RBI; e.g. these will work with Full Flavour and Ultimate Broadband RBI service. Router must be locked to 4G, so this means you cannot use RBI voice. If you need phone service, this needs to be over VoIP. If you were to plug a SureSginal into RBI service, then if router dropped to 3G it can loop and disconnect. Same if you use RBI voice, an incomming phone call will drop router to 3G, thus can cause it to loop.

Other factor to be aware of is data will not be zero rated, so anybody with their mobile coming into range of the SureSignal will be using your RBI data. Have also see the odd RBI install that has camped onto someone elses SureSignal Smiley Sad

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by tim-mit Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (240 Views)

Thanks for the help. Good things to know. Smiley Happy

I hope we won't have a problem with our neighbours' RBI connecting to our Sure Signal. We're more than 200 metres away from any neighbours, and the only possible mobile/RBI connections here involve pointing high-gain directional antennas towards a tower about 90° from the direction of the neighbours. And I don't think they've got RBI (yet). So I think we should be alright.

But from what I understand, the Sure Signal devices are locked to the Vodafone network. So the Spark wireless broadband connection would just treat it like a Vodafone locked tower, and ignore it. Am I right?

Also, the only bands we could possibly get here are 850 and 900 MHz 3G bands, and a 700 MHz 4G band. Do you know if those Huawei modems can be locked to frequencies, so they don't connect to the 2100 MHz band from Sure Signal?

I assume the fact that my antenna is specifically tuned to 700 MHz and points away from the house would help too.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 5 (210 Views)

A Spark mobile or mobile data connection cannot connect to SureSignal.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster AShack Regular Poster
Message 5 of 5 (97 Views)

We are in the same situation as you.  Vodafone RBI modem, external antenna, neighbours about 200m away, terrible mobile coverage.

We've been using Sure Signal with RBI since June 2016, and it's been great!  We have to reboot it on occasion, but mobile calls and text coverage are perfect when it's running.

Having said that, the Sure Signal won't connect today.  I'm hoping it's something to do with the wild weather, which I'm also hoping hasn't killed it......

In the process of trying to make it work today, I've discovered a setting in the RBI modem that forces the modem to use the external attenna - instead of possibly auto switching to the internal antenna.  This might well help with any danger of looping (which I don't think has ever happened to us anyway) Smiley Happy

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors