Why does North Nelson have such poor coverage?

Starter Poster

Why does North Nelson have such poor coverage?

by porty Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (479 Views)
Especially North Nelson. Whangamoa and the state highway 6, rated one of the most dangerous stretches of NZ highways has no coverage for over 50 km from Hira to Marlborough at Rai Valley (which cannot be picked up anywhere Nelson side of Rai). Used by many thousands of drivers a day each put at risk should an emergency occur. With the amount of traffic and potential users it seems the Whangamoas should be a priority but why isn't it?
Posted from Samsung SM-A510Y
Staff

Re: Why does North Nelson have such poor coverage?

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 2 of 6 (468 Views)

Am not a mobile network expert by any measure but I'm guessing that maybe that mobile signal peneteration is a challenge because of the hilly terrain? Mobile signal travels in a straight line from the tower and doesn't usually go through hills/mountains that well. 

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Starter Poster

by porty Starter Poster
Message 3 of 6 (461 Views)
Mount Duppa would be the perfect place as it can be seen pretty much from Hira through to the far side of Whangamoa and beyond. I use this route regularly and find it frustrating that i cannot get a signal until Rai and God forbid should an accident occur you are having to rely on a locals landline or travel to a covered area before phoning for help. This area has certainly been let down by the phone companies.
Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 4 of 6 (456 Views)

Phone companies in NZ are private entities. While they do get involved in social services to an extent, I personally feel that this is more of an issue that the local/national government should be looking at from a public safety/service point of view. This highway you talk about isn't the only part where there's a lack of mobile reception.

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Highlighted
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 6 (435 Views)

FYI we have cell sites both at Hira and in Rai Valley.

Yes Whangamoa is lacking but as has been addressed challenging terrain and next to no population (except for vehicles).

Also despite mention of mountain  peak you have to consider transmission factors such as fibre connection to the tower, or lacking that the ability to set a microwave link to another tower. Also DOC or landowner permission, consider people dont like seeing towers in locations like this either.

As a business and for the sake of providing better service we'd do much better putting a new site at places like say Mapua or Wakefield (it's coming btw)

Starter Poster

by porty Starter Poster
Message 6 of 6 (418 Views)
You have pretty much echoed my first post in where currents sites are. Rai for example has been criticised as on of the worst site placings in NZ. It has pretty much no signal outside Rai and whether its political I dont know but no signal whatsoever can be picked up Nelson side. As a recent quote from a chorus manager in a local paper.... a million dollars wasted.
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 27w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today