Favona Road Coverage 3G

Starter Poster

Favona Road Coverage 3G

by TonyFavona Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (614 Views)

Team

There is a large number of vodafone customers who work on Favona Rd (Progressive Enterprises) that have limited access to the Vodafone network.  Is there something that can be done to get us a good signal, for both voice and data?  Loyal vodafone customer since the 90's

Highlighted
Ninja Adept

Re: Favona Road Coverage 3G

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 4 (596 Views)

Hi there. I'm guessing you're inside that large building?

If so can be very hard to get good indoor coverage into such complexes due to the nature of having multiple layers of concrete, steel, etc blocking signal.

Generally in such large buildings we'd employ an indoor solution such as installing mini repeaters (very expensive). This is only done when the oragnisation has a corportate account with Vodafone. The account manager would organise a coverage and capacity check and get the ball rolling.

Starter Poster

by TonyFavona Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (593 Views)

Thanks for reply Nigel.  The building is only 2 levels, is glass encassed and has hundreds of people.  I am surprised that it needs an internal site specific solution.  My experience would suggest a lack of local capacity.  Where are the nearest cell sites and what capacity do they have?

This is an important commerce location (nationally) as a head office, and is visited by a large population of suppliers, employees and other stakeholders.  For these people who regularly visit or work on this site, the poor service reflects on Voda network.   In a modern world, in a modern city, having a 2 bar site with phone calls not connecting is not what loyal vodafone customers expect.   

What process can I follow to communicate directly with a Vodafone customer service person?   

Thanks always

Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 4 (588 Views)

Hey Tony

I went and spoke to one of the principle RAN engineers. They're responsible for drawing up plans for new cell sites and upgrades. They've wrapped up their FY18 plans and unfortunately there's no new cell site in that area currently planned.

Capacity wise - I'm in the performance team and monitor sites for issues which includes factors like congestion. In regards to nearby sites there's no shortage there multiple layers of 2G, 3G (both on U2100 and U900) and 4G. Generally theres no capacity issues anymore these days in the cities; only in some of the more isolated rural sites. (Exception might occur at a big event....like an Adele concert!).

This isn't an official link - a private individual updates this based on RSM licenses but you can see cell site locations on this site: https://gis.geek.nz/celltowers#cellsites_2degrees

Now something that many don't know. Most (99%) cell sites don't provide 360 degrees of coverage. They have sectors, usually three, so the footprint of a site expands out from the site like a pie slice. In cities for the most part overlapping slices from multiple sites generally means a mostly complete coverage footprint. However theres always going to be a few places which due to factors like geography, buildings etc where this doesnt happen.

In your scenario it looks like the site at Mahunga Drive doesnt have a sector facing towards the complex.

In terms of contacting service. Couple of methods. Call 777 or go to this link and fill in the contact form - http://www.vodafone.co.nz/contact/form/

I would think they'd either log a complaint or a ticket (INC) for you. What happens from there well I can't garauntee anything.

Alternatively get the CEO of progressive to be a big Vodafone corporate customer if the oraginization isn't already Smiley Happy

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 18w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today