Alternate to Huawei B315 4G LTE Modem to use for RBI , Anything better avail ?

Starter Poster

Alternate to Huawei B315 4G LTE Modem to use for RBI , Anything better avail ?

by dwayne Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (747 Views)

Hi

I have been testing RBI at my place and i get varied speeds, its pretty sold 35Downb/35Up a good majority of the time its 50-60Down/35Up and sometimes as high as 80-90Down/45Up - ping is allways sub 25ms

Im about 4Kms away from the closest cell tower , yet i get better speeds and signal if i point my xpol-v2 antenna away from it down a valley where i do not believe there is a cell tower so thats a bit odd.

Ive been tinkering heaps and want to try get a more stable speed or improve signal, lately im trying to find an lte router that can work in bridge mode so i can hook it up to my firewall , the B315 doesnt support Bridge mode so im a bit stuck and wanted to find out if there is a better model/router i can use or if voda supply something better or an alternative.

Be keen to chat with some real gurus on this as i dont get a lot of help from the regular avenues ive tried.

So if your an RBI guru or have heaps of techy ecperience playing with it perhaps installing and tuning it id love to swap tips.

Thanks

Vodafone Ninja

Re: Alternate to Huawei B315 4G LTE Modem to use for RBI , Anything better avail ?

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 9 (744 Views)

Hi Dwayne,

That's a tricky one. There's not many 4G routers that support our 700Mhz band and have antenna connectors. 

In regards to pointing your antenna down the valley, that's strange, as generally they need to be very specifically pointed at the site. 

Have you checked https://gis.geek.nz/celltowers for other cellsites in your area? It's not officially endorsed by Vodafone, but it's pretty accurate as the info comes from RSM. 

@Nigel may know some more here than me.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Business Ninja Adept

Re: Alternate to Huawei B315 4G LTE Modem to use for RBI , Anything better avail ?

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 9 (742 Views)

The RBI SIM is TAC locked to the modem range we supply. You will not be able to use this SIM in another modem.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Ninja Adept

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 9 (740 Views)

Well looks like you've already got yourself a mimo antennae so nice job on that.

And yeah we don't currently supply any other L700 compatible RBI routers than the B315 unfortunately and as Sebastian has pointed out the TAC lock might mean it wouldn't work if you found one online and imported it.

The GIS link Sam has provided is 100% accurate in terms of cell site location/technologies. Whoever puts it together gets the info directly from the RSM. Might be another site further down the valley which is taking less traffic hence better speeds...

@coffeebarondoes work installing RBI connections for one of our wholesale customers so might be able to provide some of the 'geek' factor for the hardware Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

by dwayne Starter Poster
Message 5 of 9 (713 Views)

??? Are you sure ... that seems a bit of a show stopper for engineers like me who want to optimize things for myself.

"The RBI SIM is TAC locked to the modem range we supply. You will not be able to use this SIM in another modem."

Starter Poster

by dwayne Starter Poster
Message 6 of 9 (710 Views)

when i look at the connection stats it shows im connecting to i think 1770mhz from memory  , ive never seen it on a lower number around 700mhz  band, so i dont think im connecting on the 700mhz band.

However im not 100% sure what all of the numbers mean,  i did google them so have a basic understanding and managed to orient my mimo antenna to get the best figures.

Next question was does Voda support FDD

What is meant by FDD?

Frequency-division duplexing (FDD) is a method for establishing a full-duplex communications link that uses two different radio frequencies for transmitter and receiver operation. The transmit direction and receive direction frequencies are separated by a defined frequency offset.

Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 7 of 9 (699 Views)

dwayne wrote:

??? Are you sure ... that seems a bit of a show stopper for engineers like me who want to optimize things for myself.

"The RBI SIM is TAC locked to the modem range we supply. You will not be able to use this SIM in another modem."

This is correct. The SIM is TAC locked to only work with our RBI modem to prevent someone taking a RBI SIM and popping it into their phone and walking around with connecting to multiple sites with a 120GB data allowance.

You're most likely connecting to a 700Mhz signal, as this is used specifically for RBI. The lower the frequency, the further the signal can travel, making it ideal for rural areas. 1800Mhz is commonly used in suburban areas. 

In regards to FDD, yes, our network only uses FDD, rather than TDD.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 8 of 9 (697 Views)

Slight correction L700 is not just specific to RBI - any compatible device can use this band. We even have a few L700 sites in cities.

Likelwise where are some rural sites which are operating on L1800 too - generally the ones which have a large amount of traffic.

But yes lower frequency = goes furhter is the general rule of thumb Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

by dwayne Starter Poster
Message 9 of 9 (691 Views)

OK , seems like im stuck with the B315 unit, sadly it doesnt support Bridge mode so i will now need to figure out how to push all incomming traffic to my gateway box and manage its firewall, i think double nat is only possible but im told it breaks stuff.

the DMZ function is something ill play with.

But if anyone out there has been there done this and can give me the low down on how best to do it that woudl be super

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 16w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today